Last year, many of my friends formed a One-Word as their New Year resolution. The One-Word they chose helped them to seek God for growth in that particular area as well as maintain their focus and perspective in the new year.
I was so inspired after seeing my friends accomplish their challenge that I too have decided on doing a One-Word resolution for 2012.:-)
Instead of trying to accomplish so many goals throughout the year, I have been asking God what one area He would want for me to focus on in this New Year.
How does He want to grow me as a person?
What quality does He want me to develop and grow in?
And, how does He want me to apply this to my life?
After spending some time in prayer, I believe God has given me my one word for 2012.
What is it? Welllllllll, without further ado, let me share it with you! :-)
{Drumroll please}
It is “Genuine.”
Why have I chosen this word? Well, before I share with you some of the reasons why, let me just give you the definition of genuine….
Definition of GENUINE:
Actually having the reputed or apparent qualities or character; sincerely, honestly felt or experienced <a deep and genuine love>; actual, true; not counterfeit, free from hypocrisy or pretense; sincere
As God grows me and teaches me throughout this coming year, I pray that I would:
- Live a life that is genuine, not fake. (Not striving to be anyone else but the one whom God created me to be.)
- Develop deep and genuine love for God, my family, and anyone else He brings into my life.
- Be genuinely interested in the lives of others and in serving them (in other words: selfless).
- Develop a pure heart (“pure in breed”) that comes from spending time with my Father and letting Him purify my thoughts, words, actions, and letting Him conform me to His image.
- Bring my struggles to God and to see them as ways to grow in character (Fulfilling the definition of “possessing qualities and character”).
- Demonstrate sincere care and kindness for others (not doing it for my own selfish gain, but rather for Christ’s glory and with the right motives).
- Learn to walk in the Truth as well as proclaim and live it out (“Not counterfeit, free of hypocrisy”).
God is a God of Truth and with no iniquity or falsehood. Since ‘genuine’ is the opposite of anything false, I pray that God would grow me into a true, genuine heart filled with love that lives completely for Him.
That is my prayer for 2012.
Only by God’s grace, and His alone, can I accomplish this desire. So, I commit it into His hands and look ahead with anticipation at whatever it is that He has for me in this coming year!
“…Thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbor as thyself.” – Luke 10:27
"That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God." - Col. 1:10
"That ye might walk worthy of the Lord unto all pleasing, being fruitful in every good work, and increasing in the knowledge of God." - Col. 1:10
{May you also commit this coming year into God’s hands and ask Him where He wants you to grow and how He wants you to honor Him.}

No comments:
Post a Comment